background

Sunday, July 10, 2011

"The ultimate camping trip was the Lewis & Clark Expedition." Dave Barry

I disagree. I would say "the ultimate camping trip was this weekend." Nikki Ringler.

Yep, the Ringler's loaded up the ice chest, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, tent, swimsuits, & the Morgan's & hit the road! We were headed for Lost Valley campsite on the Buffalo River. Unfortunately, when we arrived at Lost Valley there were signs saying that the flooding we had in April & May had ruined the campsite & it was closed. Bummer.

The Lost Valley disappointment was a little easier to handle when we found this gem:




Is this place beautiful or what? Our new campsite was Steel Creek at the Buffalo River.

We set up camp....


Although I am pictured here, I am not the real hero in tent-setting-up. In 1999 Brad was the fastest person in the state of Arkansas at setting up a tent. 
The things you learn about someone you think you know....



We went to the swimmin' hole...




For dinner we made pizza pockets & smores...








By about 10 o'clock it was pitch black & us old marrieds were tired. Its too bad we went to bed though. We had to peek out of our tents to watch the group of guys, who were celebrating not one, not two, but four bachelors, get caught by the Park Rangers for having weed. The Park Rangers made them pour the weed into the fire. Is that a good idea? Did everyone around them, including us, get high off the fumes? I guess I'll never know because I just went to sleep.

The next morning 10 yr. veteren Boy Scout Brad made us breakfast. 

What a man!

Since it was 100 degrees by 8:30, we hit the swimmin' hole again.




Soon after, we loaded up the car & headed home. It was a quick but great trip! The trip was so short because it was my first camping experience. Brad wanted me to try it out to see if I liked it before we committed to a longer trip. Fortunately,  I really enjoyed it and am ready to plan our next camping trip. I guess I am a natural at nature.  


1 comment:

  1. i hope my dad reads this. i'm sure he's proud that one of his boys had the stuff they learned in scouts stick with him! (and i didn't know he was the fastest tent builder either! interesting things i learn on blogs!)

    please come visit! even if it's just for lunch one day! we'd love to see you!

    ReplyDelete